Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
Introduction to Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE, website) began as a business program at the Nanjing Higher Normal School in 1917. Yang Xingfo, a well-known social activist and patriotic democrat, was appointed as program director. In 1921, as part of the plan to establish the National Southeast University based on Nanjing Higher Normal School, the business program was restructured and transferred to Shanghai, where it established Shanghai University of Commerce under National Southeast University. This university was the first commercial university in China’s history of education. Guo Bingwen, a renowned educator, acted as president, and Ma Yinchu, a well-known economist, was the provost.
In 1932, the university split and became known as the National Shanghai College of Commerce, the only national undergraduate business school in China at the time. In 1950, the university was renamed as the Shanghai College of Finance and Economics, and in 1985, it was renamed as Shanghai University of Finance and Economics. In 2000, the university became subordinate to the Ministry of Education and it is now jointly developed by the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Finance and the Shanghai Municipal People’s Government.
After generations of hard work and unremitting efforts, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics has become a multi-disciplinary key university that focuses on finance and economics and maintains coordinated development in economics, management, law, arts and science. The university covers an area of about 136 acres (826 mu) and consists of three campuses, with the main campus at No. 777 Guoding Road.
The university makes every effort to progress and cultivate tens of thousands of talents in financial management and related professions for the economic and social development of China. Shanghai University of Finance and Economics is striving to become an internationally renowned research university specializing in finance and economics.
SUFE’s Vision: To provide outstanding research and teaching and become an internationally renowned research university specializing in finance and economics.
- To strengthen morality and cultivate outstanding financial talents that possess a global outlook and national spirit, as well as creativity, decisiveness, and organization. The university provides interdisciplinary, international-oriented, and innovative education to talented individuals to improve all-round development of the quality, intellect, ability, and overall well-being of students.
- To seek the truth and promote the cultivation and spread of knowledge. The university is committed to maximizing the advantages of multiple disciplines, in particular finance and economics, and specialized skills. It actively carries out basic and applied research, advocates academic freedom and promotes academic progress.
- To serve society, help the people, participate in public services, and lead social development. The university is committed to serving national and local development in terms of the economy and society. It adheres to advanced theories, ideology, and culture, and serves economic, political, cultural, social, and ecological civilization’s construction, functioning as a think tank, talent pool, and an information bank.
- To preserve culture and promote progress in human civilization, The university is committed to carrying forward and developing the best of Chinese traditional culture, and it learns from and absorbs outstanding achievements in the civilizations of other countries and nations. The university promotes the continuation and innovation of culture, and develops a thriving socialist culture.
SUFE Philosophy: To serve society, seek the truth, strengthen morality, and benefit the country.
- Uphold a modernizing strategy. Taking the development of the modern university system as its core, the university promotes the modernization of educational concepts, content, methods, management, and facilities.
- Uphold an international strategy. Taking the path of international development, the university strives to improve the level of talent training, scientific research, social services, cultural heritage, and its international presence.
- Uphold an information strategy. By means of modern information technology, the university continues to improve the level of information management and services to carry out management and sharing of knowledge.
2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject
- Accounting and Finance – Top 200 in the world
- Economics and Econometrics – Top 200 in the world
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics Campus
University Canteen and Bakery Shop