English Teacher Recruitment
Glasgow College UESTC is a joint educational institute, established in 2013, between University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC) and the University of Glasgow (UoG), with approval of the Ministry of Education (MoE) of China. The College offers dual undergraduate degrees in Electronic Information Engineering, Communications Engineering and Microelectronic Science and Engineering. Our joint degree programmes (Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Communications) are delivered and assessed entirely in English.
English language (EL) provision is an integral part of the programme and is credit-bearing. The EL programme currently delivers teaching to approximately 1000 undergraduate students in the first 2 academic years of their degree.
The EL programme has a dual function:
1. To develop the English language skills that our students need to fully engage in their academic programme.
2. To develop the skills that our students need to achieve the required English language level* to progress on the joint programme. *equivalent to IELTS band 6.
Glasgow College, UESTC seeks to appoint English language teaching professionals to support our English language delivery and assessment. The post is based next to Tianyu Roda, metro line 6, Chengdu, China. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we can only guarantee job offers to candidates who are currently based in China. This is an exciting time to join Glasgow College, UESTC as an English teacher. In September 2019, we rolled out an innovative English for Academic Purposes (EAP) programme for both general and specific contexts.
We are keen to offer work to teachers who have a desire to develop professionally. We provide an integrated CPD programme designed and delivered by University of Glasgow teacher educators. We also offer opportunities in areas such as curriculum and syllabus development, materials writing, assessment work and teacher education.
Main Duties and responsibilities
1. Teaching to a maximum of 25 academic hours per week. These hours include classroom-based work, small group workshops and 1-1 tutorials. (1 academic hour = 45minutes)
2. Course and lesson planning
3. Student assessment and record keeping
4. Participation in general and team meetings and CPD sessions.
5. Liaison and collaboration with the Head of College, members of the management team and academic staff. This might include admin work such as course coordination, documents proofreading and admission support, etc.
Compensation and benefits
1. Base pay: 12,000RMB – 15,000RMB per month (pre-tax), depending on skills and experience.
2. Additional package: 3000RMB (pre-tax) paid together with base pay monthly for accommodation and air ticket subsidy.
3. Expenses reimbursement: a maximum of 400 pounds. Expenses in relation to work permit documentation include police check application fee, legalization of police check, degree certificate and teaching qualification certificate, Z visa application fee.
4. Insurance & Medical Care: foreign teachers with one-year contract are entitled to commercial health insurance for foreigners. (Details available in the contract.)
5. Holiday: pro rata holiday entitlement. (Details will be shown in the contract.)
4. 1-3 year, fixed term contract, with possibility of contract extension
5. Paid insurance and Chinese Public holidays
6. Regular staff development
7. Career development opportunities
Requirements (Qualifications, skills and experience)
1. Undergraduate degree
2. Cambridge CELTA/Trinity Cert TESOL or equivalent qualification containing observed and assessed teaching practice*
3. Ideally 2 years’ experience of teaching and assessing English language at B1 level and above
4. Excellent organisational, communication and inter-personal skills
5. Ability to work under pressure
6. Ability to lead and work well in teams
7. Willingness to work flexibly to meet the needs of the programme
1. Diploma level TESOL qualification (Cambridge Delta/Trinity Diploma in TESOL or equivalent) *
2. Masters in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, ELT or other relevant discipline*
3. Previous experience of teaching EAP and/or IELTS.
4. IELTS (or other international test) teaching and/or examiner experience
5. Experience of teaching in a Higher Education setting
6. Experience of teaching and assessing undergraduate/foundation students in an East Asia/Southeast Asia university environment
7. Experience of teaching English for STEM (particularly engineering)
8. Ability to use ICT effectively including use of a virtual learning environment (e.g. Moodle
*Please note we will consider alternative qualifications and experience on their merit.
We are keen to offer work to candidates who have a desire to develop professionally. There are opportunities for capacity building activities in areas such as curriculum and syllabus development, materials writing, assessment work and teacher education.
Glasgow College UESTC video
About The City – Chengdu
Chengdu is located in central Sichuan. Chengdu is now one of the most important economic, financial, commercial, cultural, transportation, and communication centers in Western China. It is associated with the giant panda, a Chinese national symbol, which inhabits the area of Sichuan; the city is home to the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. Chengdu is one of the world’s top 40 cities by scientific research output. The city is home to the greatest number of universities and research institutes in Southwestern China, notably Sichuan University, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China.
How to apply: Please provide the following in your attachments via here or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. An updated CV/resume in MS Word or PDF version
2. Copy of academic qualifications (highest level degree)
3. Teaching qualification certificates (e.g CELTA/ Trinity Cert TESOL /DELTA)
4. Passport scanned copy
5. One or two reference letters that shows ideally two-year full-time teaching experience
Estimated date to start: 1st September 2021 (Note: please leave 2-3 months to prepare the documentations for a Chinese work permit.)
Recent Job List
- Dalian Jiaotong University: University English Teacher (Fall ’21)
- Zhuhai College of Jilin University: University English Teacher (Fall ’21)
- Nanjing Xiaozhuang University: English Teacher for Education Majors (Fall ’21)
- Nanjing Xiaozhuang University: Business English Teacher (Fall ’21)
- Zhejiang Financial College: English Lecturer (Fall ’21)
- South China Business College: English Teacher (Fall ’21)