Small city is not a city underdeveloped, with no advanced infrastructures, but a city relative smaller compared to the tier 1 city including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Some people are swarming into big cities for a high salary. But some prefer a relative small city for peace and joy, and salary not much lower than in tier 1 cities.
- Hold Celebrity Status: There may very well be requests for radio interviews and features in the local daily newspaper.
- Everyone is More Friendly: The locals are more passionate and welcoming.
- Almost Everything is Cheap: Not only are the prices lower but the salaries are not proportionately lower to the cost of living.
- You Can Learn Chinese Faster: You are able to hold conversations about everyday life matters with local people to improve your language skills.
- More Freedom: You will have more spare time to enjoy your flexible time.
- Less Stressed about Life: You will feel more relaxed because life pattern is slower there.
- Better Environment: You would enjoy the fresh air on your way work and home.
- Start Your Own Business: You have more chance to start your own business and your business can develop very fast by people to people.
- Close to Nature: You would enjoy the good scenery there.
- Fewer Foreigner: You need to be more independent because there is fewer foreigners.
- Need to communicate with locals and most of them don’t speak English at all
- Less Convenient Transportation: It very much depends on which city it is. Transportation would be a joy if a city has high-speed railway which can get you to major hub cities in hours.
- Completed Infrastructural Facility: The big city has more developed infrastracture facility, such as hospitals.
- More Employment Opportunity: A large number of enterprises are gathered, which provides more opportunities for jobs.
- Higher Salary: In more developed cities, the basic salary will be higher than that of some small and medium-sized cities.
- Widen Eyesight: In big cities, things are updated quickly so that you can touch new things every day.
- More Civilized Citizen: In big cities, you can often see a lot of talents. You can easily make friends with these people.
- Higher Consumer Spending: More developed cities, higher consumer spending.
- Worse Environment: The economy develops quickly; the environment is the price.
- Bad Traffic: In big cities, population is large. Traffic can be very bad in rush hours.
- More Stress: In big cities, your employer expect more from you, and you will have more pressure on you. Life pattern is fast and keep-moving. Your focus, at least for your work hours, should be on your work.
Choosing between living in a bigger city or smaller area depends on what your life goals are. If you want experience cutting technology, big city life, go to Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen; but if you want a more enjoyable, easier life and in the same time experience more cultural things, go for a smaller city.